Friday 31 May 2013

tozer

AW TOZER ON THE TEDDY BEAR GODS OF MODERN EVANGELISM VS JOHN CALVIN'S BELIEF IN THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD:


 “I believe in evangelism, but I have listened to evangelistic messages that set forth a God I could not respect and would not respect and would not want to go to heaven and live with for another few million eternities. I do not want to live with a God like that, the kind of God I’ve heard set forth in pitiful, nose wringing, eye drenching stories as though God were like one of us.

The poor, undersized, small minded little preacher gets up and begins to chatter about a God he has made in his own image, and then I’m supposed to want to sit beside the throne of a God I could not respect on earth. No, I want the God of the Old Testament and the God and Father of the New, or else I do not want to go to Heaven. I would rather go somewhere in some neutral place. I have not courage enough to say I’d rather go to Hell, but maybe some limbo in between where I can stay as far as possible from these teddy bear gods that are being preached now and again.

Some have a lot against John Calvin. I do not go along with everything John Calvin believed, but there is one thing he did believe that I go along with. He believed in God’s sovereignty – high and lifted up. And so do I.

(Quoted from Tozer's Book on John's Gospel: And He Dwelt Among Us) 

Not far away either: 

"Oh we may hear a hillbilly with a guitar sing about heaven in a way that would make an intelligent man turn away from the thought of such a heaven." 
(Quoted from AWT sermon on 1 Peter 1:4)

INDEXES:


* CALVINIST INDEX
* PROTESTANT INDEX
* CH SPURGEON INDEX
* EVANGELISM INDEX
* HERE AND THERE INDEX

* YOUTUBE VIDEO INDEX
* 3 MINUTE AUDIOBOO INDEX

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to comment here provided that the usual principles of Christian comment e.g. politeness etc. are observed.