Monday 30 December 2013

puritan4

 
CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE
 
 Note: In the last 15 months or so, I gave myself time during my private devotions to reading David Dickson on the Psalms.  Intermingled with reading Dickson, I also took on Charles Bridges on Proverbs both for the sake of variety and obviously for content value in its own right. Both commentaries adopted different styles of writing - Dickson being more terse while Bridges adopted the more ponderous mid 19th Century style. However, both yielded much profit in their respective spheres of commenting. I finished Dickson a couple of weeks ago. I have taken on the slimmer volume of Charles Bridges on Ecclesiastes

Dickson was a 17th Century Covenanting Presbyterian in Scotland, while Bridges was an English  Evangelical Anglican.  Both these volumes lay long on my shelves - not totally unread but occasionally consulted, but only (as said) read through completely on the last 15 months. Both are great spiritual works. Banner of Truth is to be commended for these quality reprints. #HighlyRecommended


INDEXES:

* CALVINIST INDEX
* PROTESTANT INDEX
* CH SPURGEON INDEX
* EVANGELISM INDEX
* HERE AND THERE INDEX

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to comment here provided that the usual principles of Christian comment e.g. politeness etc. are observed.