Thursday 10 April 2014

When I sin...

 

It is, I suppose, natural for the self styled Arminian Society to chase up Calvinism when it can do so. Just as it is natural for me, as a Protestant, to chase up Roman errors. So I can't complain. Personally, I don't mind at all. Every stating of error gives the truth the right and opportunity to reply.  I develope this thought here.

There is no reference given in the above quote. So we have only the Arminian Society's word for it. However, let's charitably proceed on the assumption that it is true. By which I mean that these words were actually spoken/written and also that they are not yanked out of context. I remember a post appearing a few years ago in one of the Arminian sites where a quote attributed to John Calvin, once searched out and put in context, was actually his stating of an opponent's position. So do be careful little eyes what you read. (And by extension, little fingertips what you type.) 

I don't want to spend long on this post. Suffice to say: Theologically, a Calvinist (or an Arminian or any other person for that matter) can say: "God permitted me to sin." That is true, although it should never be left to stand alone. It is unbalanced to do so.  It is like saying that we are "saved by grace," but leaving out "through faith" and leaving someone to be damned. There are very few one liners in theology. 

Practically, we need to confess, "I have sinned" and followed up with: "God be merciful to me the sinner." In no circumstance, can we ever shift the blame unto God. That is not Scriptural and therefore it is not Calvinism. There is a fuller treatment of the Calvinist position on this matter here, drawn from major Calvinist confessions and sources.


* CALVINIST INDEX
* PROTESTANT INDEX
* CH SPURGEON INDEX
* EVANGELISM INDEX
* HERE AND THERE INDEX
* YOUTUBE VIDEO INDEX
* 3 MINUTE AUDIOBOO INDEX

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to comment here provided that the usual principles of Christian comment e.g. politeness etc. are observed.